Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Peer pressure vs guilt

I've completed 4 weeks of enbrel injections. Overall, I feel so much better. My energy is better, I can concentrate at work again, my pain is well controlled. I will never forget what true fatigue feels like. I want more than anything to keep things as they are, I even have a goal of returning to the gym. It scares me to think about going back to how I felt just 2 months ago. I felt like I hit rock bottom with my disease. I plan to do everything in my power to maintain my health from now on. As much as I miss socializing and happy hour after work, I have decided to stay away from alcohol. Alcohol has always been a big RA trigger for me. I have told people my choice. Now, when they keep asking me to join them at the bar, how do I nicely remind them that I'm not drinking? And, when they keep asking, am I just sounding like a party pooper or someone from AA when I keep saying "I'm not drinking". It's not that I don't want to go out with friends, I miss socializing! But, have you ever been the sober one at a party? You definately realize what an idiot some people are. For now, I will choose to be the party pooper. A wise friend once told me, you can teach someone something but you can't learn it for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment