Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New and Improved

On Friday, I saw my rheumatologist. Let me just say, I love this woman. I think the key to a good patient-doctor relationship is communication. She doesn't just tell me what to take, but I get to give my input! Looking back 2 months ago, I was a hot mess. I have no idea how I functioned feeling so crappy and having such little energy. I will NEVER forget that feeling. Last week was enbrel injection #5, I still had a skin reaction, but feeling good! I asked doc if it was ok to drink. In the past alcohol has always been a trigger for me. I would wake up the next day with stiff and swollen joints. Doc informed me that was because I was drinking beer, the yeast is a trigger. I never knew! She gave me the go-ahead to have gin or vodka. Good lord, this doc knows how to paaarty. I had the best weekend in such a long time. I met some girlfriends for karaoke. It was so much fun watching bad singers and singing along. A couple of my guy friends came out later and we stayed until the bar closed. Nobody was really ready to go home, so we went bike riding! Omg, such a free feeling. I've had a brand new bike just sitting and waiting to be used. The weather was perfect! We rode bikes until 4am. My legs were sore the next day, but the good-muscle sore. On Saturday, I met some friends at a club to celebrate a birthday. We danced until our feet hurt. I was a little self conscious because I wore a dress and my injection site was already reacting. But, one of my friends said it just looked like a bug bite. I had vodka on Friday and Saturday, and I have to say that I think the injection has an effect. I didn't feel anything! It was like I hadn't had any alcohol. I'm usually the light weight, and it's been months since I've had a drink. I wanted to see if there was any info to read about that.

I'm so thankful to feel well enough to do these things. I really needed to get out and socialize.


The downers from Fridays doctors visit: she doesn't want me to get a tattoo. Doc says it can trigger an inflammatory attack. I researched over the weeked and chatted with other RA'rs that have gotten tattoos. I think I'm going to get it still. Also, doc wants me to see a neurologist. I occasionally get shaky hands. Like if I'm holding or grabbing something.

We're starting a "Biggest Loser" at work, kind of like the tv show. It's perfect timing too. Doc also gave the ok to go back to the gym. I feel like I've lost so much muscle. I already have a work out buddy. I just need to figure out my schedule. It's so easy to say "no" to the gym when you're too tired. My biggest problem is my diet. I have had flare ups off and on for the past 2 years. Before that, I felt good for quite a few years. So when I have a flare up, I comfort eat. Usually something really bad, like fast food. I'm also a Starbucks junkie, such a hard habit to quit!

No comments:

Post a Comment