Sunday, January 29, 2012

Triggers

I think if you listen to your body, you can start to learn what triggers some flares.

When I was a kid, everyone always associated my pain with cold weather. But, in truth, the really hot days were sometimes the worst. Everyone would go swimming when it was really hot. I never could, because the really cold pool would hurt. Or, even having the air conditioner on would make me hurt.  I seem to have real trouble with extremes, mostly when it's too cold. And, of course, the barometric changes. Maybe I should have been a weather girl?

 Last week, the weather started to change and it rained a day or two. I had trouble all week. I'm most often guilty of wearing my "brave face" at work. I don't like people to know when I hurt. I wear 2-3 pairs of socks, layer a couple of shirts, AND I keep on my gloves when I'm at work. I work inside a hospital, in my defense, it is a super old building with bad insulation. I was sooo cold. The only time I warmed up was when, each day, I would come home and take a steaming hot shower.

The weather has stabilized, and I had a pretty good weekend. Even went on a bike ride with the family. I haven't rode a bike in years! I know my triggers, but I also know what can sometimes help. Besides the hot showers, I have been getting body massages every couple of weeks. It really seems to help my body relax. I've noticed that when I tense up, my joints stiffen. Today, I had my nails done. I really could care less what color they paint them. I just like the massage on my feet and hands.

I often work a lot. When I do, I end up eating crap. Or, when I'm flaring up..I use food to make me feel better. Usually something that isn't healthy. I've noticed I feel so much worse when I eat fast food. It's just so hard sometimes. If I've been at work for a good 12 hours, the last thing I want to do is cook. (Besides, cooking for one is more difficult than it sounds). It makes it that much easier to order a pizza and pick it up on my way home. AND, there's actually an iphone app for that! Yes, I order pizza on my phone app! I had been seeing a therapist for a few years for my anxiety. I had talked to her about using food for comfort. She actually encouraged it. After seeing myself gain 20 pounds, well, with the help of prednisone, I decided to stop seeing her.

Even though I've had RA almost my entire life, I'm continually learning about my body and how to read it. I can't say that I look forward to learning more. But, maybe one day I'll come close to mastering it?

No comments:

Post a Comment