Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'm blue.....literally

First off, let me start by saying I sometimes think I must be the worst patient. I google my symptoms, and self diagnose. I often adjust my own meds. I sometimes forget that I never went to medical school. Working in the medical field, I see and learn a lot. Therefore, I often think I know it all.

I've always had cold hands and feet. I never thought much of it, just that I could have issues with circulation. The doctors have never taken note of it, and I've always had every joint examinted for my RA. For the past couple weeks, my left hand had turned blue. No pain or numbness. So, I go to google to self diagnose. The first thing that comes up is "cyanosis". Basically meaning I'm not getting enough blood. I get it. But, WHY?!  I emailed my doctor. She just says simply, "its raynauds". Google says it's common in people with RA. My doctor decides to follow up with a bunch of crazy labs. Ten viles worth. I justified eating out after getting all the blood sucked out of me. The labs show I have something called antiphospholipid syndrome. I have to make sure I take an aspirin a day because the syndrome puts me at a higher risk for blood clots. I'm still not sure if the blue hands and lab results are related. I'll see doc next week and ask a gazillion questions. I get so discouraged at times. It's like if there's a small chance something will happen....it will happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment